Claypot Rice in Rice Cooker. Traditionally, the cooking is done over a charcoal stove giving the dish distinctive flavor. But I improvised and cook using rice cooker. by Jasmin Foo. Transfer all the mixture from the pan/wok into a rice cooker pot, add the required water to cook the rice (this should follow the instruction for your rice cooker), then drizzle with sesame oil.
Cooking claypot chicken rice in a rice cooker may not be authentic or give that burnt fragrant from the charred rice but it is more practical for most of us who have busy lives. This one pot dish can serve many people depending on the capacity of your rice cooker. Tastewise is as good as cooked in an actual claypot minus the charred rice of course. You can cook Claypot Rice in Rice Cooker using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Claypot Rice in Rice Cooker
- It’s 300 gr of rice, rinse a couple times until the water gets clear, drained.
- It’s 400 ml of water.
- You need 3 of bacon slices, cut to taste.
- Prepare 3 of lap cheong (chinese sausage), sliced.
- It’s 2 tbs of sesame oil.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 2 of shallots, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 cm of ginger, grated.
- It’s 10 gr of dried shrimp (do not need to be soaked), if the size is large, chop them.
- Prepare 1 tbs of oyster sauce.
- It’s 1 tbs of dark soy sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
- It’s to taste of ground black/white pepper.
- You need of Frozen vegetables as needed (optional).
Rice Cooker Claypot Rice – 电饭锅煲仔饭 This recipe is a godsend for those of you who do not own a claypot. We tweaked the recipe a little so you get all the yummy flavours of a typical claypot rice minus the all the hassles! Claypot chicken rice is one of Malaysian's favourite dish and can be easily made at home. There are many variation of it.
Claypot Rice in Rice Cooker step by step
- Add sesame oil in the rice cooker pot. Close the lid. Press the "cook" button. Wait until the oil gets hot.
- When the oil is hot, add garlic, shallots and ginger. Saute until fragrant and wilted.
- Press the "off" button. Add rice, water and all remaining ingredients plus seasonings, except frozen vegetables. Stir it.
- Close the rice cooker, press the "cook" button and wait until it turns to "warm". Add frozen vegetables. Mix it up. Close the lid. Leave it in the "warm" button for 5-10 minutes then serve.
My favourite version is in my 'One Pot Wonders' cookbook which includes flavourful ingredients like salted fish, sesame oil, pepper and belacan chili. Instead of a rice cooker, I made it in Philips All-in-one cooker, or an 'instapot'. Get this recipe on the next page >> This recipe is one of my mum's 拿手好菜 (specialty) when I was a kid. She basically dump the chicken and lup cheong to cook with the rice in a rice cooker and you have a super yummy one-dish-meal quite effortlessly. This is also the "claypot-less" way to make claypot chicken rice – with a rice cooker.