Where Is My Chili Crab?. Chilli crab is a Southeast Asian seafood dish that originated from Singapore. Mud crabs are commonly used and are stir-fried in a semi-thick, sweet and savoury tomato-and-chilli-based sauce. Despite its name, chilli crab is not a very spicy dish.
Time to get your hands dirty with the Red House chilli Singapore's number one culinary export to the world is none other than chilli crab, and here's where to find the best versions in the city. Chilli crab with various level of spiciness: If you order chilli crab at No Signboard, you are best served with the level of spiciness on your own taste. A No Signboard's chilli crab plate is always in tantalization; appearance may be sometimes pretty messy, though. You can cook Where Is My Chili Crab? using 29 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Where Is My Chili Crab?
- It’s of Spice Mix:.
- You need of Dried Red Chilies, 10g Adjust to Preference.
- It’s 3 TBSP of Canola / Peanut / Vegetable Oil,.
- It’s 10 g of Yellow Split Peas,.
- Prepare of Fresh Red Chilies Deseeded, 3 Adjust to Preference.
- It’s of Bird's Eye Chili / Chili Padi Deseeded, 1 Adjust to Preference.
- It’s 3 of Shallots Roughly Minced,.
- It’s 4 Cloves of Garlic Roughly Minced,.
- You need 1 Stalk of Lemongrass White Parts Only Finely Sliced,.
- You need 3 of Candle Nuts / Macadamia Nuts,.
- Prepare 1/2 Inch of Galangal Finely Minced,.
- You need of Chili Crab:.
- You need 1 TBSP of Belacan Fermented Shrimp Paste,.
- It’s 2 1/2 TBSP of Tomato Ketchup,.
- Prepare 1/2 TBSP of Oyster Sauce,.
- Prepare 1/2 TBSP of Hoisin Sauce,.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Miso Stock,.
- You need 125 g of Good Quality Crab Meat Fresh or Frozen,.
- It’s of Palm Sugar / Gula Melaka, 1 1/2 TBSP Adjust to Preference.
- Prepare Pinch of Sea Salt,.
- You need 1 of Egg,.
- Prepare Pinch of Nori Flakes,.
- You need Pinch of Dried Mushroom Powder,.
- You need of Fresh Lime Juice, 1 Lime.
- You need of Fresh Lime Zest, 1 Lime.
- You need 8 of Fried Mantou,.
- It’s 1 Handful of Fresh Coriander Finely Chopped,.
- It’s 1 Handful of Scallions Finely Chopped,.
- You need of Cured Egg Yolk, For Serving.
Any decent seafood restuarant in geylang (or all singapore) serves chilli crab. Although I won't call "No Signboard Seafood" as THE best, but it is famous (read good enuf. Michelin-Starred chef Salil Mehta of NYC's Laut Singapura makes the flavor-packed national dish of Singapore: chili crab. I've gotten some addresses for chili crab but I'm not sure they're still good.
Where Is My Chili Crab? instructions
- Pls visit: https://www.fatdough.sg/single-post/2017/07/31/Mantou for the mantou recipe.
- Pls visit: https://www.fatdough.sg/single-post/2019/05/17/How-To-Cure-Egg-Yolks for the cured egg yolk recipe.
- Prepare the spice mix. Soak dried chilies in a bowl of hot water until soften. Deseed if desired. Pad the chilies dry. In a skillet over medium heat, drizzle oil.
- Once the oil is heated up, add in the soaked dried chilies, peas and the rest of the chilies. Saute until aromatic. Transfer into a blender, reserving the oil in the skillet.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Blitz until fine paste and set aside. You can add a bit of water to keep the blitzing going.
- Prepare the chili crab. In the same skillet over medium heat, add in belacan. Break the belacan into fine pieces with the back of a spatula. Toast the belacan until aromatic.
- Add in the spice mix. *You can add some water into the blender and clean up all the nooks + crannies, then add into the skillet.* Saute until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add ketchup, hoisin and oyster sauce. Stir well to combine. The color should turn a darker shade of red.
- Add in miso stock and crab. *To make miso stock, simply add 1/2 TSP of miso into 1/2 cup of hot water. Stir until the miso is dissolved.* Stir to combine well. Bring it up to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer for about 3 mins. Taste and adjust for seasoning with palm sugar and salt. Add in egg and stir to combine well. Remove from heat.
- Add in nori flakes, dried mushroom powder, lime juice and zest. *To make dried mushroom powder, simply blitz some Chinese dried mushroom in a spice grinder until powder forms.* Give it a final stir. Transfer into serving plates or bowls.
- Garnish with coriander and scallions. Grate some cured egg yolk over the top. Serve with fried mantou in the side.
- If you want the same plating as shown in the photo: Blitz the chili crab until smooth. Ladle onto serving plates. Place a fried mantou into the middle. Garnish with coriander and scallions. Grate some cured egg yolk over the top. Serve immediately.
Moreover I have zero idea how much I should expect to pay for one portion of crab. Except that chili crab really isn't that spicy. Depending on where you go, some are more sweet than spicy. The one thing though, that may set you back a little, is the price you'll have to pay for this dish. For a meal that is truly worth the price you pay, here are some recommendations on where you'll find Chili Crab to die for.