Tofu scramble or vegan breakfast burrito. Ah, the vegan breakfast burrito – a thing to behold. While we have a vegan burrito in our cookbook, I'd yet to make one with tofu. And, truth be told, this version is a bit easier to make.
For our burritos, we started with sautéed bell peppers and onions, which we then combined with a vegan scramble made from extra-firm tofu and a blend of spices. Finally, we topped them off with slices of avocado and a few generous lines of Sriracha. An easy and flavorful tofu scramble is the filling in this vegan breakfast burrito. You can cook Tofu scramble or vegan breakfast burrito using 17 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tofu scramble or vegan breakfast burrito
- You need of scramble.
- You need 8 oz of extra firm tofu.
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of red onion.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Poblano pepper or pepper of your choice.
- Prepare 1 cup of kale or spinach loosely chopped.
- Prepare of seasoning.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1/4 tsp of chili powder.
- It’s of optional to serve with.
- It’s 1 of salsa.
- It’s 1 of cilantro.
- It’s 1 of hot sauce.
- It’s 1 of hash browns.
- Prepare 1 of in a tortilla (breakfast burrito).
The tofu so closely resembles scrambled eggs it's hard to tell at first glance it's not actually eggs. Seasoned with ground turmeric, cumin, and nutritional yeast, the tofu cooks into a tasty filling. Make sure to drain the tofu and press on it with paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. One of our favorite vegan breakfast entrees was tofu and potatoes, seasoned with McKay's.
Tofu scramble or vegan breakfast burrito instructions
- Pat dry tofu. Wrap in cheese cloth and put weight on to squeeze water out. I use my cast iron skillet. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- While tofu is draining add all seasonings together in small bowl. Add enough water to make pourable and mix together then set aside.
- Slice onion and pepper of your choice. Loosely chop kale or spinach.
- Heat skillet over medium heat adding oil, onion and peppers. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions become soft.
- Add kale or spinach and cover for 2 minutes.
- Your tofu should be ready by now so unwrap it and crumble with fork to bite sized pieces.
- Uncover veggies and slide to one side of skillet. Add tofu to other side and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add spice sauce, pouring 2/3 to tofu and 1/3 to veggies.
- Cook for 5 minutes in separate places to try to brown tofu slightly then mix together and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve as you wish. I've done breakfast burritos, served with toast, hash browns, chips. It is always good topped with salsa and/or hot sauce.
They are super easy to whip up and can be made in advance for busy mornings. Freeze burritos by wrapping in foil individually. Simply unwrap and microwave for an easy breakfast to take to work or on the go. This vegan breakfast burrito with tofu scramble and black beans is a perfect post-workout snack that is ideal for healthy meal prep. A few weeks ago I was working with my girl Edgy Veg 's friend Louis on some strategies for sports and fitness nutrition while he transitioned to a plant-based diet.