Vegan General Tso’s Tofu. It's spicy-sweet, healthier than the classic Chinese takeout dish, and one of my favorite tofu recipes. This is one of those comfort food dishes that you make when a serious takeout This recipe sounds delicious – I always liked General Tso's chicken before I became vegan and gluten free. Bake the tofu or pan fry, add blanched veggies and make a sandwich or wrap.
You know the best part of this recipe? The tofu is oil free and air fried! You can use any air fryer you have, mine happens to be Philips! You can have Vegan General Tso’s Tofu using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan General Tso’s Tofu
- Prepare 1 block of tofu (medium).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- You need of For the sauce.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- It’s 3 tablespoon of apple vinegar.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of raw sugar (I just used white sugar).
- It’s 1-3 tablespoon of sambal (just to your liking) * very spicy *.
- It’s 1/3 cup of vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cornstarch.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of chili sauce (loa gan ma).
- It’s 3-5 of dry thai chilies or 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
Shake and turn them around in the halfway. To make Crispy Tofu: Cut tofu block into two broad slabs. Wrap tofu slabs in paper towels, and place between two cutting boards. Even though I've eaten General Tso's Tofu before and loved it, I've never tried to make it at home.
Vegan General Tso’s Tofu step by step
- Drain water from tofu, wrap in paper towels to soak up the water, put something on top of it to hold it down, it will soak the the moisture faster that way, set aside.
- Start making the sauce.
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce, vinegar, samba,sugar,cornstarch,vegetable stock, mix, set aside.
- Back to tofu, unwrap, and cut. Cut in the middle, then flip the two pieces on to is sides and cut them again, then cut into rectangles.(after I had it cut 4 times I put 2 on top of each and cut in rectangles as you see in the last picture).
- Salt and pepper tofu add to air fryer on 390 for 15 mins, half way shake them well.. (can do in oven on 360 on wire rack till golden brown).
- Notes-Make sauce, don’t heat pan up before adding anything. Turn heat on after the sweet chili sauce, peppers flakes, and garlic are in the pan.
- Make sauce right before tofu is done. On med heat, in frying pan, add chili sauce, garlic, and dry Thai chilies,cook for about a min while stirring, then add the vegetable stock mixture (Stir the vegetable stock mixture before adding,) this will bubble up and become thicker stir constantly, add the tofu, mix and make sure all tofu is coated with sauce. Remove from heat.
- Sever over rice and any steamed vegetables.
- Notes- this is the kinda of tofu I used, I never cooked with it before, I did go though two rounds, soaking up the water, as you can see my towels was too wet, and I just did it again. I did have cheap paper towels too. I used a plate and a can to add some weight, that work out great. It did take a little longer in my air fryer, because my tofu still had moisture in it.
- This was my first time cooking tofu and using some of these sauces that was hard to find I ended up finding stuff at Kroger’s,Walmart didn’t have any of it! I didnt have the peppers I couldn’t find them so I used red pepper flakes.
Which is pretty surprising given the number of times I eat tofu per week. If you love sticky, sweet, spicy food then you'll enjoy this recipe for Vegan General Tso's Tofu from the Chloe Flavor cookbook. Judging from the amount of comments I got on my Vegan Orange Chicken Recipe I'd say it was a hit! I'm glad that so many of you took the time to let me know how much you enjoyed it! tags: Chinese recipe, kangjung, tofu, vegan recipe, vegetarian recipe. As a bonus, this dish can actually be considered both Korean and Chinese – Korean Tofu Kangjung (Kanjung means crunchy dish) and Chinese General Tso's Tofu!