Goan prawn curry (Ambot tik). Goan Prawn Curry with Coconut is a spicy, sour curry that comes from Goa and is also called Ambot Tik. Just serve this with steamed rice and you have a truly satisfying meal! Ambot Tik is a fiery Goan classic curry that is perfect with sannas or rice.
Seriously, guys, this Prawn Ambot Tik is to die for, it's rich. Prawn Ambot Tik is a wonderful as well as an easy non-veg recipe to try. This dish typically uses prawns or shark, but you can also make it with another firm-fleshed fish or chicken. You can have Goan prawn curry (Ambot tik) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Goan prawn curry (Ambot tik)
- It’s 250 gms of Prawns fresh or frozen.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of coconut grated.
- It’s 1 cup of coconut milk (1st extract).
- You need 8-10 of Kashmiri red chillies.
- It’s 1 tbsp of pepper corn.
- You need 1 tbsp of Cumin.
- You need 1 tbsp of Coriander.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
- You need 6-7 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 4 tbsp of refined oil. You can also use coconut oil if you prefer.
- Prepare 1/2 inch of grated ginger.
- It’s Bunch of curry leaves.
- You need of Ball sized tamarind.
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped onions.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
Serve this hot and sour Goan curry with steamed white rice or sannas, steamed Goan rice cakes. About Goan Prawn Curry Recipe: Also known as Ambot Tik, Goan prawn curry has prawns cooked in coconut milk with a spicy gravy made of turmeric, black pepper, vinegar and coconut. How to Make Goan Prawn Curry. Grind together all ingredients with vinegar.
Goan prawn curry (Ambot tik) step by step
- Wash and clean the prawns. If using frozen ones, then soak the prawns in water for about 15 mins, to defrost. Then wash them at least once or twice. Keep aside.
- In a blender, add coconut, Kashmiri red chilli, peppercorns, cumin, coriander, turmeric, tamarind, garlic, coconut milk and blend into a smooth paste.
- Add 4 tbsps of oil to a pan, once heated add in the curry leaves. Chopped onions, ginger and sauté over medium heat, until the onions turn translucent.
- Then add in the chopped tomatoes and salt. Sauté until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add the masala paste and fry it, till the raw smell goes off and the oil starts leaving the sides.
- In goes the cleaned prawns. Add a lil water and let it cook on sim, till the prawns are cooked. Prawns takes very little time to cook, max 5 mins. Once they curl inwards, they are cooked.
- Serve with hot steamed rice and you have one soul satisfying meal on your plate.
Goan Ambotik is a classic recipe hailing from the west of India. Cooked traditionally with fish the key to this recipe is the use of fresh coconut rather than coconut milk. I've used prawn in my recipe as the sweetness of the prawns is perfect with the hot and sour flavours of the gravy. Ambot Tik is a fiery Goan classic curry that is perfect with sannas or rice. It's typically made with Shark but I'm using Prawn in this recipe.