Homemade Apple Sauce – This recipe is perfect for when you have no idea what to cook. You can have Homemade Apple Sauce using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Apple Sauce
- It’s 4-7 of tart apples.
- You need 1 c of water.
- You need 1/2 c of sugar.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick (or 1/2 – 1 tsp ground cinnamon).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of allspice.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
Homemade Apple Sauce Instructions
- Wash and peel skin from apples, and dice into small chunks.
- Place apple chunks into sauce pan, add water.
- Add spices and sugar, and stir together. *Spice and sugar amounts are approximate and to taste.
- Place cinnamon stick in center of apples. (If using ground cinnamon, mix in with other spices).
- Bring to simmer, and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, for approximately 30 minutes, or until apples soften. Your house will smell delicious!
- When apples have softened (you want them mushy), remove cinnamon stick and drain excess liquid off. This makes excellent cider if you want to save it!
- Mash your apples! Use a fork or potato masher if you like it chunky, or use a blender if you like it smooth. Done!
- Apple sauce is great warm (we love ours with a dollop of whipped cream) or chilled. Delicious warm as a topping for ice cream!