Simple Almond Tofu and Fruit in Syrup. Dissolve the gelatine with boiling water, dissolve in the sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in the gelatin mixture. Add the milk, sugar, and almond extract; stir until the sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved; pour mixture into a large, shallow container.
I think what I don't like is the fruit cocktail – it always has the canned taste. When I was working in Japan, the almond jello was no longer complimentary as part of the meal. It actually had to be ordered separately. You can have Simple Almond Tofu and Fruit in Syrup using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Simple Almond Tofu and Fruit in Syrup
- Prepare 1 of Kanten.
- Prepare 300 ml of Water.
- Prepare 200 ml of Milk.
- You need 30 grams of Sugar.
- It’s 1 of i recommend that you use (to taste) Almond essence.
- It’s of Syrup:.
- You need 200 ml of Water.
- Prepare 120 grams of Sugar.
- You need 1 of Fruits for decoration (like canned tangerines and kiwi fruits).
Almond tofu is a common and popular Chinese dessert in hot summer. It can be considered as the Chinese version of panna cotta. However Chinese almond tofu is healthier since there is no heavy cream included. Almond tofu in Chinese is 杏仁豆腐 (xing ren tou fu).
Simple Almond Tofu and Fruit in Syrup instructions
- Break the stick kanten into 2-3 portions and soak in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze out the water and shred finely. Stir into 300 ml of boiling water and dissolve. You can get rid of lumps if you pass it through a strainer.
- Warm the milk until it's nearly boiling, and dissolve the sugar. Add Step 2 and a generous amount of almond essence. Mix well. Transfer into a large container and set aside to cool. Chill and harden in the fridge.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the syrup. When the jello (from Step 3) is chilled and hardened, pour the syrup over the jelly. Cut into cubes, top with fruit and serve.
- Here's the stick kanten.
It is a popular dessert in many provinces especially in Hong Kong and Beijing. You can serve it from bowl, or you can cut it into cubes like the one in restaurant. Typically, almond tofu is served with a can of fruit cocktail. But I actually prefer to just cut up some fresh fruits, like berries or stone fruits. The wonderful thing about making your own flavored simple syrups is that you can take just about any fruit, herb or spice, and experiment until your plum tuckered.