Gillian's Lokshen Kugel – This recipe is fantastic for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Gillian's Lokshen Kugel using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Gillian's Lokshen Kugel
- It’s 400 g of dried egg lokshen (use tagliatelle or wide egg noodles if you cannot find lokshen).
- You need 2 of medium eggs, beaten.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 4 teaspoons of ground ginger.
- You need 200 g of raisins.
- You need 1 of x 540g can of rhubarb, drained, or 4 sticks of fresh rhubarb cut into 12mm chunks.
- It’s 3 of Bramley apples, peeled and coarsely grated.
- It’s 175 g of seedless raspberry jam.
- You need of Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon.
- You need 125 g of margarine, plus extra to coat the inside of the baking dish.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top.
Gillian's Lokshen Kugel Step By Step
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4.
- Boil the lokshen or noodles until just al dente, strain and rinse with cold water.
- Put the lokshen back into the pan, add the margarine, jam, lemon zest and juice and stir over a low heat until well combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Grease a baking dish, pour in the lokshen mixture and smooth the top.
- Cover the dish with foil, place on the middle shelf of your preheated oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 45 minutes until the top of the kugel is well browned and sticky.
- Take the lokshen kugel out of the oven, sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar and, as Gillian pointed out in the recipe she sent me, all that’s left to do is: ‘Eat the bloody thing!’. Leftovers can be successfully frozen and reheated.