BBQ Stingray Fish (ikan Pari Bakar). Grilled Ikan Pari Bakar or Grilled Stingray in English, a popular dish in Malaysia where marinated stingrays are grilled in banana leaf with a special hot and spicy sauce. A very unusual fish to grill but trust me this is really good, once cooked correctly imagine tuna which have a very tender and juicy. Ikan bakar is a popular Malay cuisine from Southeast Asia, notable in Indonesian and Malaysian cuisines, prepared with charcoal-grilled fish or other forms of seafood.
Grilled stingray or 'ikan pari bakar' as it is known in Malaysia and Singapore is a flavourful dish. It is marinated with blended chilli paste and herbs Marinated sting ray is best grilled over hot charcoal, just like how it is often done by Malaysians and Singaporeans alike. To the locals, it is known as ikan. You can cook BBQ Stingray Fish (ikan Pari Bakar) using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of BBQ Stingray Fish (ikan Pari Bakar)
- It’s 1½ – 2 lb of whole Stingray.
- It’s 1½ tsps of palm sugar.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s 1 of lemon juice of.
- It’s 2 tbsps of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tamarind paste.
- Prepare 1 cup of water warm.
- Prepare of banana leaf aluminum foil ] piece of a large.
- Prepare 2 – 4 of water toothpicks , soaked in min.
- You need of kaffir leaves cut into halves [wedges].
- You need 1 of onion , sliced , for garnish.
- It’s of cilantro ], for garnish.
- Prepare of shallots , peeled.
- It’s 4 of garlic , peeled.
- Prepare 1 inch of ginger fresh , peeled.
- You need 2 of lemongrass stalks , tender ends only.
- It’s 4 – 6 of chilies water dried , softened in hot.
- It’s 1½ tsps of shrimp paste Anchovy dried ] or Extract Powder belacan ,.
- It’s 3 tbsps of chili paste or to tastes ,.
Now you can enjoy this at the comfort of You can also prepare this in advance for your BBQ parties. We're very sure that your guests will love this. Sambal stingray is grilled stingray or skate fish with spicy chili sambal barbeque sauce over banana leaf. Place a piece of fish on top of each pile before topping with remaining vegetable mixture.
BBQ Stingray Fish (ikan Pari Bakar) instructions
- 1) Rub stingray with lemon juice and salt, set aside for 10 min.
- 2) In a small bowl, using your fingers, mix tamarind paste with warm water, strain, discard seeds, set aside.
- 3) Using a mortar & pestle or blender, grind shallots, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, dried chilies, belacan(shrimp paste) and chili paste.
- 4) Heat wok on high, add oil, stir-fry ground paste till quite toasted, 3-5 min.
- 5) Add tamarind, sugar, salt to taste, reduce heat to med, simmer till sauce is thicken slightly.
- 6) Remove from heat, allow sauce to cool.
- 7) Soften banana leaf in hot water, dry well with a tea towel, lightly coat with vegetable oil.
- 8) Spoon and spread half the sauce on the banana leaf, lay the stingray fillets on top, spoon the rest of the sauce on the fish.
- 9) Fold the banana leaf into a packet, secure with toothpicks.
- 10) Grill on a hot charcoal BBQ grill or indoor grill or stove top grill pan, 10-15 min, depending on the thickness of the fish, turn over once.
- 11) Garnish with sliced onions, coriander leaves and lime wedges.
- 12) Serve hot with steamed rice or a fresh salad.
If using the fresh home-made coconut milk, strain the liquid into a small bowl before drizzling each pile with a quarter of it. Ikan Pari Bakar or Grilled Stingray in English, a popular dish in Malaysia where marinated stingrays are grilled in banana leaf with a special hot and spicy sauce. A very unusual fish to grill but trust me this is really good, once cooked correctly imagine tuna which have a very tender and juicy texture, it flakes. Place ikan bakar parcel on plate and carefully remove the top banana leaf. Squeeze lime over the fish and serve immediately.