Stuffed Patty Squash. Bring one inch of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring one inch of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Pattypan is a summer squash that grows in a scalloped shape.
Pattypan squash (which have a squat, round shape) can be found at many farmers' markets in the summertime, but this savory filling works just as well with regular zucchini or yellow squash. Feta cheese and fresh dill add a Greek accent to stuffed squash. Toss squash with oil on a large rimmed baking sheet. You can cook Stuffed Patty Squash using 12 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Stuffed Patty Squash
- It’s 6 medium of Patty Squash.
- It’s 1 lb of ground tube Johnsonville Sausage.
- Prepare 1 each of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of Long Grain Brown Rice.
- It’s 2 tsp of Salted Butter.
- Prepare 1 can of 10oz chicken broth.
- It’s 1 cup of Seasoned Stuffing Mix.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of Frozen Peas.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Fresh Chopped Tarragon.
- You need 2 tbsp of Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic finely chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Hidden Valley Ranch powder.
Add scooped out portion of squash to sauce and mash with a potato masher. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as needed. Fill squash with the sauce, pouring the excess over the top. Lightly grease a large casserole dish with olive oil or cooking spray and evenly place your pattypan in the dish, cup side up.
Stuffed Patty Squash instructions
- Start boiling enough salted water in a stock pot to cover squash.
- Wash squash well with cold water to remove any sand.
- With a pairing knife, cut a circle about an inch in diameter around the stem side. Use a table spoon to remove the lid and scoop the seeds out. Making sure not to scrape the sides and bottom too thin.
- Add squash to boiling water and parboil for 10 minutes. Drain the squash in a colander and allow to cool.
- Cook the rice with 1/2 the can of chicken stock with 1 cup of water in a microwave safe glass bowl covered with plastic wrap for 5 minutes on high then an additional 14 minutes on medium.
- Fry sausage until no longer pink. Making sure it is crumbled into small pieces. Place on paper towels and allow to drain completely.
- Put the rest of the chicken stock and 2 teaspoons of butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 3 minutes then add the stuffing and stir until moist.
- Add chipped onion with 1 teaspoon of butter, finely chopped garlic and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add cooked rice, stuffing mix, peas, Tarragon, limon juice and sausage to the onions. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the insides of the squash with the ranch seasoning.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Stuff with rice mixture and place on a greased glass baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Optional: sprinkle tops with shreaded cheddar cheese & bake an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Any left over stuffing can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
To stuff the pattypan squash, squeeze together a ball of stuffing in your hands (as if you are making a snowball), and place it into one pattypan cup. The balls will be approximately the size of a medium ice cream scoop. When you choose a pattypan squash, keep in mind that the smaller ones will be more tender and take less time to cook, but they also are more difficult to stuff. The stuffed pattypan squash contains a blend of grass-fed beef, quinoa, spinach, garlic, onion, and Parmesan cheese. The flavors are so wonderful together.