You can cook Palestinian Mujadara using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Palestinian Mujadara
- You need 1 1/2 cups of brown lentils.
- Prepare 3 cups of medium grain rice, soaked in water for 20 minutes and drained.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of ground cumin.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare of Boiled water.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of ghee (Don't use if you are a vegetarian).
- You need 4-5 of red onions, thinly sliced.
- It’s of Flour to dust onions.
- You need 1 tsp of sumaq.
Palestinian Mujadara step by step
- In a large pot, boil lentils in a good amount of water (about 3 cups) along with cumin. (don't add salt as it will take longer to cook the lentils if you do that). Once cooked through, add salt and rice. Mix together and add enough boiled water to cover the pilaf (about 1 1/2 cm or 2 cm above) (you can use chicken stock if you like). Put on the stove over high heat, bring to a boil then reduce heat to the lowest and cover 3/4 way through. Allow the water to evaporate and the rice to cook.
- In the mean time, heat olive oil and ghee in large frying pan.
- Dust sliced onions with flour (to get them crunchy rather than soggy) Fry on high heat till they are totally brown (this is how they are made, they are not supposed to be caramelized as you would for an onion soup) The last step that give the amazing flavor for Mujadara is to put some of that fat while hot (the olive oil and ghee flavored with onions) on top of the Mujadara Serve by arranging the pilaf in a dish, top with onions and sprinkle with Sumaq Serve with yogurt or yogurt and cucumbe.