Chinese Chicken in Salted Black Bean Sauce. Using whole black beans is definitely preferred, but you can also use jarred black bean sauce. Yes you can substitute black bean sauce for fermented black beans, but if you do also cut back on the garlic by half. You don't want the garlic flavor to be too.
Char siu sauce is quite popular in sorthern part of china. It is a salty and sweet sauce made of soy sauce, vinegar, chili, garlic, sugar and Chinese five spicy powders. Douchi (Chinese: 豆豉; pinyin: dòuchǐ), or tochi is a type of fermented and salted black soybean. You can cook Chinese Chicken in Salted Black Bean Sauce using 17 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chinese Chicken in Salted Black Bean Sauce
- It’s 350 g of Chicken Meat (boneless, skinless, cut into bite size).
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Light Soy Sauce (marinade).
- It’s 1 tsp of Rice Vinegar (marinade).
- It’s 1 tsp of Corn Flour (marinade).
- You need 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil (frying).
- You need of Sauce;.
- You need 20 g of Garlic (finely chopped).
- Prepare 20 g of Shallots (finely chopped).
- It’s 20 g of Red Chilli (finely chopped).
- You need 25 g of Salted Black Bean (washed, roughly chopped).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Light Soy Sauce.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp of Sugar.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Cooking Oil (stir frying, optional).
- Prepare 30 g of Chives (cut 2 inch lengths).
- You need 30 g of Spring Onions (cut 2 inch lengths).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Water or Stock.
In English, it is known as fermented black soybeans, Chinese fermented black beans (Chinese: 黑豆豆豉; pinyin: hēidòu dòuchǐ), salted black beans, salty black beans, or just black beans. A Cantonese classic: chicken simmered in black bean sauce, with fermented black beans with loads of minced garlic. I pressed on the black beans with a wooden spoon, and in no time the oil was fragrant and blackened by the smudged-up beans. This traditional Chinese Chicken stir-fry dish is easy to make and loaded with the flavors of pungent black bean sauce, garlic, and peppers.
Chinese Chicken in Salted Black Bean Sauce step by step
- CHICKEN; Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, vinegar and corn flour for 30 minutes. When ready heat the 4 Tbsp cooking oil until hot and fry the chicken until golden brown all over. Remove and set aside.
- SAUCE; if needed add more cooking oil; heat 2 Tbsp of cooking oil until hot. Fry the shallots, garlic and chilli until fragrant. Then add the black beans and fry it for 10 seconds.
- ASSEMBLY; Add the chicken, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and water (or stock) into the sauce and mix well. Turn off the heat and add the chives. Serve on a plate and garnish with spring onions.
You can also get black bean sauce in cans or sachets, that works too, look in the Chinese section of a large supermarket. What arrived was MeeChun Salted Black Bean. Not fermented and does not NEARLY contain the seasoning advertised Remember that black bean chicken you love so much at your local Chinese restaurant? Now you can make it yourself! Prepared "black bean sauce" is like jarred or canned spaghetti sauce.