Black Beans and Rice. Black beans and rice is such a classic combination, especially in Caribbean or Southern cooking. There are probably dozens of ways to make it; this one is an easy recipe that cooks up quick and tastes great. Now, if you are really serious about your beans you'll soak dry black beans overnight and then.
Rice and black beans cook together in this flavorful dish, which gives the rice it's black color. In addition it's cooked with peppers, onions, garlic, cumin White rice is typically used in this dish, I've never had it with brown rice but I'm sure it would be delicious for those of you who prefer brown – you. Black Beans and Rice is the perfect family side dish. You can cook Black Beans and Rice using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Black Beans and Rice
- It’s 1 pound of dried black beans, soaked in water overnight, drain.
- You need 2 cups of brown rice.
- You need 3 of &1/2 cups water plus salt to taste to cook rice.
- It’s 1 of large onion, chopped well.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, rough chop.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of chile powder; mild, medium or hot, to your taste.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of dried oregano.
- It’s of salt and pepper.
- You need 3/4 cup of chopped tomatos.
- Prepare of Optional ×* Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.
It's fast and affordable, and everyone loves the taste. A black bean and rice dish is more than satisfying, too—it's packed with protein for a healthy meal. Once you know how to make black beans and rice, you can start experimenting with the classic side by incorporating your favorite vegetables and spices. Delicious and so easy to make, it should be part of your weekly rotation.
Black Beans and Rice instructions
- Cook beans in water for 45 minutes or until soft. (You will save 1 cup of cooked bean water). Cook rice at the same time, rice will take closer to an hour to cook over low heat. While beans and rice are cooking, prep veggies and measure out spices in a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add onion, cook for 3 minutes then add garlic, gently cook 2 more minutes. Add spices. Add cooked beans and reserved bean water and tomatoes. Mix. Simmer for 2o minutes.
- Serve on top of hot cooked rice.
Stir in the rice, black beans, tomatoes, water, vinegar and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Your family will never miss the meat in this hearty, colorful and fresh-tasting main dish. Served over brown rice, it makes a healthy, stick-to-the-ribs dinner. —Sheila Meyer, North Canton, Ohio. We show you how to cook black beans and rice.