Honey Sesame Tofu. Honey Sesame Tofu is the perfect dinner for meatless Monday or vegetarians. The tofu is fried crispy and then tossed in a delicious sweet sauce! This time we are making Honey Sesame Tofu!
Flavor variations for crispy honey sesame tofu: Ginger Sesame Tofu- Omit the garlic and replace it with ginger. You can also add more ginger, if you like. You can add sliced green peppers and red peppers. You can have Honey Sesame Tofu using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Honey Sesame Tofu
- It’s 1 box of firm tofu about 1 pound or 500g.
- It’s 1/3 cup of honey.
- You need 1/3 cup of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of ketchup.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- It’s 1/4 cup of rice vinegar.
- It’s 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of sesame seeds for garnish or to taste.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of scallions for garish or to taste.
It's a spicy honey sesame tofu that's sweet and nutty with a crunchy coating made of cornstarch. Are you familiar with general Tso chicken? Well, it's close to that but with more zing and yum! For this dish I'm using Aunt Sue's Raw & Unfiltered Honey which comes in two bold flavors – wildflower or clover.
Honey Sesame Tofu step by step
- Wrap the tofu in cheese cloth. Place a heavy pan on top for about 30 minutes.
- Then, place the tofu in the freezer for at least 6 hours.
- Remove the tofu from the freezer and use the defrost function of the microwave for about 10 minutes. After that, repeat step one to squeeze out excess water.
- In the meantime, take a large bowl to mix and combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, sesame oil and garlic. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the marinade and set aside.
- Use hands to break the tofu into bite size pieces and put them inside the large bowl containing the marinade. Stir and let the tofu marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Line the fryer basket with grill mat or sheet of lightly greased aluminum foil.
- Put the tofu pieces inside the fryer basket without stacking and air fry at 400F (200C) for 14-16 minutes, stir once in the middle, until the edges of tofu looks a bit caramelized.
- While air frying, use a wok or a frying pan to bring the sauce to boil. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
The burst of flavorcomes from the sauce -a symphony of honey, sesame oil, soy sauce, onions and chilies -which pairs nicely with the soft, subtle taste of tofu. You could also drizzle the recipe with peanut sauce instead of the honey-sesame glaze. The simple ingredients in this pan-fried sesame garlic tofu. There are only a handful of ingredients for the sauce that coats this tofu dish! Soy sauce; Sambal oelek (spicy garlic sauce) Rice vinegar; Honey; Sesame oil Honey Sesame Tofu with Roasted Shishito Peppers and Green Beans: Tips, Tricks and Tools Eco-Friendly Tools: You'll need a few tools for this recipe including a couple lined baking sheets, a medium pot, and mixing bowls.