Cinnamon Crust Dutch Apple Pie – This recipe is fantastic for when you have no idea what to cook. You can have Cinnamon Crust Dutch Apple Pie using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cinnamon Crust Dutch Apple Pie
- You need of For the Crust.
- Prepare 1 of Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust.
- You need 1 Tbls of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 Tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of For the Pie.
- Prepare 7 of peeled, cored and thinly sliced small granny smith apples.
- You need 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted.
- You need 1 cup of Gold Medal unbleached all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 cup of light brown sugar.
- You need of Granulated sugar, for sprinkling.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Breakfast Wheaties.
- Prepare of For the Icing.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of powered sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of vanilla.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 tsp of milk.
Cinnamon Crust Dutch Apple Pie Step By Step
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. Unroll pie crust onto a glass pie dish. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon and granulated sugar. Pour the 1/2 cup of Wheaties to cover bottom of pie crust. (This is a key ingredient, trust me no one will know its there but it does the job, keeps the pie together).
- Place sliced apples in a mound on top of the Wheaties. In a large bowl, combine butter, flour and brown sugar and form into crumbles using fingers or a pastry blender. Sprinkle crumbles over apples.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar evenly over crumbles. Bake pie until the top and crust are a golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes (cover top/crust with foil if necessary to prevent it from getting too dark). Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and milk to form the icing (add more sugar or milk to reach desired consistency). Using a pastry bag or a Ziploc bag with one end cut off, pipe on the icing in a swirl on top of the crumbles on fully cooled pie.