One Pot Mexican Beef and Brown Rice.
You can cook One Pot Mexican Beef and Brown Rice using 28 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of One Pot Mexican Beef and Brown Rice
- You need 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 1 of small bell pepper, diced.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1 lb. of ground beef (or ground turkey).
- You need 3/4 cup of brown rice, uncooked (not instant).
- It’s 1 can (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes, undrained.
- You need 1 can (15 oz.) of black beans, drained and rinsed.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of chili powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of cumin.
- You need 1 tsp. of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of paprika.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of oregano.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of onion powder.
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow squash, sliced into thin coins, then quartered.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth (reduced sodium recommended).
- Prepare 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Prepare of Optional Toppings :.
- It’s of ·Sour Cream.
- You need of ·Drizzle of sriracha.
- You need of ·Crushed Tortilla Chips.
- Prepare of ·Additional Shredded Cheese.
- You need of ·Shredded Lettuce.
- Prepare of ·Diced Avacado.
- It’s of ·Freshly Diced Tomato.
- Prepare of ·Sliced Jalapenos.
One Pot Mexican Beef and Brown Rice step by step
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet with a tight fitting lid. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the onion is translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute or so, until fragrant.
- Add the ground meat and cook until browned, breaking it up as you go. Drain any excess grease, if needed.
- Stir in the rice, diced tomatoes and beans. Then stir in the seasonings. Increase the heat to med-high.
- Stir in the broth and the squash. Let it come to a boil. Once boiling, place the lid on and decrease the heat down to med-low.
- Allow to simmer for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking (if using a different kind of rice besides brown rice, then decrease the cook time), until the liquid has absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat once done and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Place the lid back on so the cheese will melt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, and refrigerate any leftovers.
- It's very versatile. Pictured with pinto beans instead of black beans and 1 cup corn kernels instead of squash –>.