Black Beans and Rice.
You can have Black Beans and Rice using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Black Beans and Rice
- You need 1 pound of dried black beans, soaked in water overnight, drain.
- It’s 2 cups of brown rice.
- It’s 3 of &1/2 cups water plus salt to taste to cook rice.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped well.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, rough chop.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of chile powder; mild, medium or hot, to your taste.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- You need 2 tablespoons of dried oregano.
- You need of salt and pepper.
- It’s 3/4 cup of chopped tomatos.
- It’s of Optional ×* Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.
Black Beans and Rice instructions
- Cook beans in water for 45 minutes or until soft. (You will save 1 cup of cooked bean water). Cook rice at the same time, rice will take closer to an hour to cook over low heat. While beans and rice are cooking, prep veggies and measure out spices in a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add onion, cook for 3 minutes then add garlic, gently cook 2 more minutes. Add spices. Add cooked beans and reserved bean water and tomatoes. Mix. Simmer for 2o minutes.
- Serve on top of hot cooked rice.