Southern Thai-style Roast Chicken.
You can have Southern Thai-style Roast Chicken using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Southern Thai-style Roast Chicken
- Prepare 1 kilogram of (about 2.2 pounds) chicken pieces (skin-on breasts, wings, drumsticks etc.).
- It’s 1 tablespoon of white pepper.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- You need 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds.
- You need 3 of coriander roots.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- It’s 8 of shallots.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 1/2 tablespoon of oyster sauce.
- It’s 1 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of brown or granulated sugar.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour (optional).
- It’s 2 tablespoon of limewater (optional).
- It’s of Fried shallots (to serve).
- Prepare of Steamed glutinous rice (to serve).
- You need of Sweet chili sauce (to serve).
Southern Thai-style Roast Chicken step by step
- Clean the chicken pieces under running water, prick them all over with a fork so the marinade could better seep in and leave to dry while you make the marinade.
- Using a mortar and pestle or a food processor, grind together white and black pepper, coriander seeds and roots, cumin, garlic and shallots.
- Transfer the spice and herb mixture to a large bowl in which the chicken will be marinated, add oyster and soy sauce, salt and sugar and stir them together with a spoon to form a thick paste.
- Add the chicken pieces and coat them evenly with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinade in the refrigerator for 3 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 225°C(437°F).
- For extra crispy chicken skin, add the all-purpose flour and limewater to the chicken and toss to coat before baking. You can skip this step.
- Transfer the chicken to the lightly-oiled baking sheet and bake until done, 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime you could make the fried shallots by slicing raw shallots and tossing them with some sugar, salt, ground white pepper and coriander seeds and all-purpose flour. Deep fry them in hot oil until golden-brown or put on a baking sheet and bake along with the chicken, toss and turn occasionally so they cook evenly.
- Serve the chicken over sticky rice, topped with fried shallots and with sweet chili sauce on the side.