Vickys Apple Chutney, GF DF EF SF NF – This recipe is best for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Vickys Apple Chutney, GF DF EF SF NF using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vickys Apple Chutney, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 500 g (1 pound) of peeled, cored and chopped cooking apples.
- It’s 250 g of (1 & 1/4 cups) light brown sugar.
- Prepare 160 g (1 cup) of raisins.
- It’s 1 of small onion, finely chopped.
- You need 1 of scant teaspoon mustard seeds – around 2/3 of a level tsp.
- It’s 1 of scant teaspoon ground ginger – as above.
- You need 1/4 tsp of low sodium salt.
- Prepare 240 ml (1 cup) of apple cider vinegar.
Vickys Apple Chutney, GF DF EF SF NF Step By Step
- Put all the ingredients into a heavy based pan and stir together then bring to the boil
- Turn down to a simmer and let cook uncovered until thickened, around 20 minutes
- Once the chutney is thick and pulpy in consistency take the pan off the heat and let cool
- While the chutney is cooling, sterilize your jars. You'll need 3 x 300ml jars. Wash the jars and lids well in hot, soapy water then let air dry
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350F and set the jars on a baking tray open end up inside
- Bake the jars for 10 minutes and while they're in the oven, boil their lids in a pan of water for the same length of time
- Spoon the cooled chutney into the jars, seal and label. It's ready to eat now if you want but I let mine sit for 3 months before opening. Unopened and kept in a dark cupboard it will be absolutely fine for up to 2 years so double the recipe if you want to
- This chutney is fantastic with ham and cheese and makes an excellent homemade Christmas gift. It will keep well for 3 weeks after opening as long as it's kept in the fridge