Alt. Mexican Rice [Brown Rice]. Healthy Mexican rice that tastes amazing! This recipe is made with brown rice, which is perfectly fluffy after baking in the oven. This isn't a quick recipe, but it does clear the stovetop for use.
Just take into account brown rice takes longer to cook, usually I also tried making Mexican Rice with basmati rice (as pictured above). That, too, was a resounding success with both the original (oven-baked) method. Rice is cooked with cumin and onion, then simmered with tomato sauce and chicken broth for this restaraunt-inspired If you're looking for a Mexican Rice recipe that will be "the star of the show," this is not the recipe. You can cook Alt. Mexican Rice [Brown Rice] using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Alt. Mexican Rice [Brown Rice]
- It’s 1 of pan with a lid.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of brown rice.
- It’s 4 cup of vegetable or chicken broth.
- It’s 8 oz of can tomato sauce.
- It’s 1 medium of onion, diced.
- It’s 2 of bell peppers, diced.
- It’s 1 cup of peas (I used frozen).
- It’s 4 clove of garlic, finely diced.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of turmeric.
- Prepare 1 tsp of oregano (I used dry leaves).
- You need 1/4 tsp of or more chili powder to taste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil (enough to coat pan).
KAET: I've never been able to get my rice to brown and/or puff in a skillet either. I LOVE Spanish Rice (aka MexicanRice)! Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute before adding the tomato sauce, chicken broth and. This one pot Mexican brown rice with tomatoes is a great option for any weeknight meals.
Alt. Mexican Rice [Brown Rice] instructions
- Coat a heated pan well with oil, sauté onions and peppers on medium heat until onions are lightly browned. Add and sauté garlic.
- Stir in peas and cook for 2-3 minutes. If necessary, reduce the heat while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Stir in spices- cumin, turmeric, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper. (I added spices to the veggies, but they could probably be added to the broth mixture instead if preferred.).
- Mix tomato sauce and broth in a separate container. (This mixture can be microwaved briefly so heat isn't lost when it's eventually added).
- Add the brown rice in a somewhat uniform layer over the sautéed veggies. Do not stir. Keeping the rice on top will help the rice cook more uniformly and prevent intermittent uncooked rice.
- Gently pour broth and tomato sauce mixture over the rice.
- Cover pan with lid and simmer on medium heat. For a tighter seal, cover pan with foil and then firmly place the lid over it.
- Brown rice will take about 40 minutes to cook.
- If there is still too much liquid after the rice has cooked, uncover the pan, stir, and allow liquid to evaporate on low heat.
- Mix finished rice and veggies so they're uniformly distributed throughout the rice.
However, this time I wanted to try the tomato rice using brown rice and Mexican spices. Getting into healthy eating habits constantly inspires me to experiment with whole grain based recipes. Mexican rice is the anchor of many excellent Mexican spreads, and having recently posted our recipe for Chiles Rellenos, I'm back with the perfect Mexican This easy Mexican Rice recipe is one of them. It's all about toasting the rice to be as golden brown as you can stand to wait for in oil—the toastier. Some people call this Spanish Rice, but Mexican Rice and Spanish Rice are actually not the same thing.