Gumbo. This is a recipe for a classic, dark brown, shrimp gumbo in true Louisiana Cajun country fashion. Gumbo (French: Gombo) is a soup popular in the U. S. state of Louisiana, and is the official state cuisine.
Cajun gumbo is the tomato-free version of this legendary Louisiana stew, though there are otherwise very few rules that govern what goes into the pot. In this recipe, we use the classic combo of chicken and andouille sausage, but feel free to change it up with other proteins. In a large, deep skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, then add flour. You can cook Gumbo using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Gumbo
- Prepare 1 box of Zatarain's gumbo mix with rice.
- It’s 6 cups of Water.
- You need 1 cup of Chicken broth.
- You need 2 of Diced potatoes.
- You need 1 tsp of Parsley flakes.
- It’s 2 bags of small, tail-off peeled shrimp (100-150 in each bag).
- It’s 2 cups of chicken breast.
- It’s 1 1/2 of Polish sausage.
- Prepare 2 cups of crab meat.
- Prepare 2 cups of frozen okra.
- You need 1 of Bay Leaf.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Red crushed peppers.
- You need 5 of Hardboiled eggs (Optional).
- It’s of Seafood seasoning.
When fall arrives in Louisiana, the gumbo pots come out. Food Network Magazine asked the champs of New Iberia's annual cook-off for their recipes. The only thing more New Orleans than a dented pot of gumbo simmering on the back burner is arguing about the right way to make it. With a heritage claiming both French and West African roots, gumbo is a thick stew served over rice and made with a roux (a mixture of butter and flour) and a wide variety of ingredients such as celery, peppers, okra, onions chicken, sausage and/or seafood.
- Add 6 cups of water, 1 cup of chicken broth, eggs, and gumbo mix into a big pot (under low heat).
- After it starts to boil add parsley flakes and bay leaf.
- Make sure to stir frequently to keep your food from sticking.
- Rinse shrimp in cold water for about 5 minutes then sprinkle with seafood seasoning.
- Add potatoes, crab meat, polish sausage, shrimp, chicken breast, and frozen okra then stir.
- Add red crushed peppers.
- Place a lid on the pot. Let it cook for about 30 minutes or until rice is done.
- Enjoy :-).
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. A symbol of Creole cooking, gumbo is ubiquitous in homes and restaurants across Louisiana. Andouille sausage and file powder make this chicken-and-sausage gumbo a classic and, as in any good gumbo, a deep, rich roux thickens the stew.