Sambal Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis). Nasi goreng translates literally to 'fried rice; in Malay. A fried egg on the side makes nasi goreng "special". Chicken, prawns, diced carrots or peas are welcome, though not at all essential.
Sambal tumis (slow-stirring) is a versatile stir-fried chile paste used in dishes like mee goreng (fried noodles), sambal udang (shrimp), sambal telur (eggs) and nasi goreng (fried rice). First, let's not get lost in translation. Sambal is a generic term for chili-based sauces. You can have Sambal Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis) using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sambal Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis)
- It’s 4 cups of Cooked Rice.
- You need 200 g of Mackerel.
- It’s of Sambal Paste (processed in a blender);.
- Prepare 50 g of Shallots.
- You need 20 g of Garlic.
- It’s 50 g of Fresh Red Chillies.
- You need 25 g of Fermented Shrimp Paste (Belacan).
- You need of For Stir Frying;.
- It’s 6 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- You need 2 pc of Eggs (whisked).
- You need 1 cup of Frozen Veggies (optional).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Lemon Juice.
- You need 2 tsp of Sugar.
- You need as needed of Salt.
Literally, there is nothing about nasi goreng that requires it to be spicy. But since nasi goreng is a Malay term, the Malay (and we don't mean Malaysian) style of cooking fried rice has associated nasi goreng with spicy fried rice with bold flavors. Egg Sambal (Sambal Tumis Telur Rebus Pedas) is a Spicy Indonesian and Malay Dish with Sambal (Indonesian Chili Sauce) and Eggs as main ingredients. Combining cooked sambal with hard boiled eggs.
Sambal Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis) instructions
- MARINADE; Once you've processed the Sambal ingredients into a paste, take 2-3 Tbsp of it and marinate the fish.
- EGGS; Heat 1 Tbsp of cooking oil in the wok until hot then add the eggs and cook it scrambled. Once it has cooled, remove and set aside.
- FRY THE FISH; add 2 Tbsp of cooking oil to the hot wok and fry the fish, 2 minutes for each side. Remove it and set aside. NOTE, usually the fish is then broken into bite size pieces.
- COOK THE PASTE; heat 3 Tbsp of cooking oil until hot, then add the Sambal paste, lime juice, sugar and veggies. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated, the colour of the Sambal turns darker and the oil separates from the paste.
- FRY THE RICE; once the oil separates, add the rice and mix well. Then add the fish, the eggs, and mix them well. Season with salt, taste test and then serve.
Great recipe for Sambal Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis). I grew up with this and to this day it remains my favourite fried rice. This fried rice is best when paired with fish, specifically oily fish like Mackerel. Sambal goreng Literally means "fried sambal". It is a mix of crisp fried red shallots, red and green chili, shrimp paste and salt, briefly stir-fried in coconut oil.