3 Meat Gumbo. With chicken, shrimp, spicy andouille sausage, okra, and tons of other veggies, this gumbo is packed with FLAVOR and serves a crowd! This soup doesn't just have enough meat to feed a hungry dinosaur, it's also chock-full of veggies: flavorful. Gumbo (French: Gombo) is a soup popular in the U.
Its name, "Gumbo" is an African word for "okra", and this is the traditional thickener used. Watch your roux Most gumbo recipes begin with roux, and for good reason: it's the foundation for the entire dish. Roux is flour that's browned in fat (like oil or butter) to thicken and flavor gumbo and other Cajun dishes. You can cook 3 Meat Gumbo using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of 3 Meat Gumbo
- You need 2 (32 oz) of containers of veggie broth.
- You need 1 (32 oz) of container of water.
- It’s 3 of chicken breasts.
- Prepare 4 of andouille sausage halves.
- It’s 1 of large red onion.
- You need 2 of bell peppers.
- You need 1 of jalapeno to taste.
- You need 1 (12 oz) of bag of peeled shrimp.
- Prepare 2 cups of rice.
- You need 2 of large tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 (14 oz) of bag of okra.
- It’s to taste of Cajun seasoning premixed.
- You need of Sriracha to taste (when it's done and in your bowl).
- It’s 2 tbs of garlic or however much you prefer.
- It’s 2 tbs of butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of flour.
- You need 1 tbs of oregano.
Although it's just two ingredients, the color of a roux is fiercely debated among gumbo aficionados. No one will miss the meat in this satisfying stew (it's also vegan!). I tear the meat up and use the jus and then I'll put a whole other chicken in the gumbo while it's cooking." It doesn't matter what you're cooking, Toups adds, you need to have that. Gumbo is a traditional Lousiana dish in which Spanish, French, African, German and Native American traditions come to life.
3 Meat Gumbo instructions
- Dice up all of the vegetables.
- Mix the 2 tbs of butter, flour, and onion, garlic, and peppers to make a roux (row).
- Put cut up pieces of raw chicken and sausage in the broth. (I used frozen, hence reason it's whole in the pic).
- Add all veggies (except for the tomatoes) to the broth.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and white, add shrimp and tomatoes. (Total amount of time to cook takes about 45 minutes on medium high heat).
- Shrimp and tomatoes cook for about 10-15 minutes. Shrimp should turn pink.
- Rice is cooking while the meat and veggies are cooking. I use a rice cooker.
- Add rice to serving bowl and pour broth and meat and veggies over it.
- Add Sriracha or tabisco sauce on top if you like it hot.
Each of these cultures brought a similar dish to the area and gumbo is a combination of all of them, if not a by-product of the interchange that happened between locals and immigrants. Finely chop the onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper and okra. Add chicken pieces and andouille rounds. Place gumbo in serving bowls and finish with a spoonful of rice and sliced scallions. But broadly speaking, contemporary gumbo can be described as a dark soup or stew flavored with the "holy trinity" of aromatics—a mix of onions, green bell peppers, and celery—and, sometimes, sweet tomatoes.