Som Tam (Thai Green Papaya Salad). Thai green papaya salad recipe Variations of Green Papaya Salad. Before we get started with the Thai green papaya salad, I want to quickly give you an overview of the different types of variety of green papaya salad available. Som tam Thai – This is one of the mildest versions, where the dressing is sweet and sour.
Green papaya salad is a spicy salad made from shredded unripe papaya. Originating from ethnic Lao people, it is also eaten throughout Southeast Asia. Locally known in Cambodia as bok l'hong (Khmer: បុកល្ហុង, pronounced ), in Laos as tam som (Lao: ຕໍາສົ້ມ), or the more specific name tam maak hoong (Lao: ຕໍາໝາກຫຸ່ງ, pronounced [tàm.ma᷆ːk.hūŋ. You can cook Som Tam (Thai Green Papaya Salad) using 18 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Som Tam (Thai Green Papaya Salad)
- It’s 200 gms of green papaya, grated.
- Prepare handful of bean sprouts.
- It’s 1 of tomato, deseeded & cut into strips.
- You need 1-2 of green chilies, chopped (opt).
- You need 8-10 of green beans, cut into 1" pieces & blanched.
- You need 1 of onion, sliced / 1/4 cup spring onions, chopped.
- It’s 10-12 of paneer / tofu cubes, shallow fried.
- Prepare of few sprigs of coriander leaves, chopped.
- Prepare of Dressing-.
- You need of salt to taste / 1 tsp. soya sauce / fish sauce.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of red chili powder / chili flakes.
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of lemon juice.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of pepper powder or to taste (opt).
- It’s 1 tsp. of honey / sugar.
- Prepare of Garnish-.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of roasted peanuts, coarsely ground.
- You need 10-12 of shrimps, shallow fried.
Add green papaya and mix well. Serve with sticky rice and a sliver of cabbage, green beans and Thai basil. For som tum pbooh, omit the dried shrimp and toasted peanuts and add salted crabs instead. This Thai Green Papaya Salad (or Som Tam) is a refreshing and flavorful salad that's full of exotic spicy kick.
Som Tam (Thai Green Papaya Salad) step by step
- In a bowl, combine all the above ingredients (except the dressing). Keep aside. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing on the prepared salad and Toss well. Serve, garnished with the roasted peanuts and the fried shrimps. Yummy Thai salad is ready for you.
This salad includes chopped peanuts, cilantro, tomatoes, and sliced green beans. Som tam is a popular Thai salad featuring green papaya and a spicy chili pepper dressing. Traditionally, it's pounded with a mortar and pestle, which can be fun at times. However, it's also messy and a lot of work. Green papaya salad (som tam) is a delicious Thai dish.