Healthy Cream Stew with Salmon and Kabocha Squash. Great recipe for Healthy Cream Stew with Salmon and Kabocha Squash. It was so cold. so I just thought maybe I can make a cream stew using the white sauce I make often. Steam the kabocha without letting it soak in water.
Steam the kabocha without letting it soak in water. How to Cook Kabocha Squash How to Roast Kabocha Squash. Line a baking sheet with foil and cut the squash in half lengthwise. You can cook Healthy Cream Stew with Salmon and Kabocha Squash using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Healthy Cream Stew with Salmon and Kabocha Squash
- Prepare 1/4 of Kabocha squash.
- You need 200 grams of Fresh salmon.
- Prepare 1 of to 2 packages Shimeji mushrooms.
- You need 2 of Onions.
- It’s 1 of Carrot.
- You need 2 of Potatoes.
- It’s 4 tbsp of Cake flour.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of cube Consommé soup stock cube.
- Prepare 1 of Salt, black pepper, soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Miso.
- Prepare 600 ml of Sweetened soy milk (or milk).
Add just enough boiling water to cover kabocha pieces. Kabocha Squash cooking information, facts and recipes. Cream stew is a popular dish in Japan that consists of chicken and root vegetables in a savory cream sauce. Many people enjoy this hearty dish in the cold winter months to warm their bodies.
Healthy Cream Stew with Salmon and Kabocha Squash step by step
- Cut the meat and veggies into your preferred sizes. The salmon skin can be cut easily with kitchen scissors. Cut the stems off the shimeji mushrooms and shred into pieces.
- Add the potatoes and carrots into a pot, cover, and cook with water at about half the height of the veggies (It was about 200 ml with our pot).
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan, and saute the onions. Once they are wilted, add the shimeji and saute well.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked through, add the kabocha on top and cover again. Don't let the kabocha soak in water since that will cause it to fall apart.
- Once the kabocha is steamed through, place the salmon on top, cover and let the salmon cook through.
- Mix in salt, black pepper, ground consommé, and cake flour into the frying pan from Step 3. Once it's no longer floury, gradually pour in 300 ml of soy milk.
- Once the veggie mixture from Step 6 turns into a creamy consistency of your liking, pour in the soy sauce around the rim, mix it up a little and pour it over the pot from Step 5. Reduce to low heat and stir a little.
- Once they're blended well, adjust the tastiness of the white sauce with the second addition of soy milk (I added 300 ml). Dissolve the secret ingredient of miso, mix in and it's done.
- Recommended: Mix in yuzu pepper paste into the cream stew when serving. Its fragrance and a touch of spiciness improves the dish.
The standard ingredients are onion, potato, carrot, broccoli, and chicken, but I've also added kabocha squash, cremini mushrooms, spinach. Connecting people around the world through a passion for great food and travel. While available year round, kabocha squash's true season is late summer to early fall. Look for it at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, your local Asian grocer, or at the farmers market. When picking out the perfect kabocha squash, the two most important factors to consider are color and weight.