Japanese Pancake ‘Okonomiyaki ‘. Okonomiyaki is the famous Japanese savory pancake that is usually cooked at the dining table so you can customize it to your taste. My children loved okonomiyaki growing up – actually, they still love it just as much! Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a Japanese street food which is very popular among Western visitors who often try it for the first time in Japan.
In Japan, the batter and toppings will differ from region to region, but the three main styles are Kansai or Osaka, Hiroshima, and Tokyo. My favourite is the Kansai style because that's the area I grew up in. Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き o-konomi-yaki) is the ultra popular Japanese style savoury pancake, aka Japanese Pizza! You can cook Japanese Pancake ‘Okonomiyaki ‘ using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Japanese Pancake ‘Okonomiyaki ‘
- It’s 1/2 cup of flour.
- You need 1 cup of water.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Dashi powder (Japanese fish bouillon powder).
- You need 4 pieces of cabbage shredded.
- You need 1 of egg.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Tempura flake (Tenkasu).
- It’s 1 tablespoon of bonito flake.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of dried small shrimp.
- You need 1 tablespoon of minced chicken or other meat.
- You need of Okonomiyaki sauce.
- It’s of Mayonnaise.
Okonomi translates to "as you like" and yaki to "grilled" giving you "grilled as you like" and as the name indicates, you can make these with your favourite filling ad toppings! Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake containing a variety of ingredients. The name is derived from the word okonomi, meaning "how you like" or "what you like" or "favorite," and yaki meaning "grill." Okonomiyaki, translated as "grilled as you like" is a savory Japanese cabbage pancake (or some might call it Japanese pizza) made with lots of cabbage, some pancake batter and topped with several other ingredients. The cooked okonomiyaki is then topped with some delicious okonomiyaki sauce and served with Japanese mayonnaise.
Japanese Pancake ‘Okonomiyaki ‘ instructions
- Mix flour, Dashi powder and water.
- Today I don’t have Tempura flakes, so I use vegetable Tempura and cut small pieces.
- Pour flour mixture on hot pan with salad oil. And make like crepe.
- Put cabbage and other ingredients on it.
- Egg in center.
- Pour over the rest of flour mixture.
- Bake the other side.
- Surface is crispy when it baked.
- Eat with Okonomiyaki sauce mayonnaise or soy sauce.
- Bonito flake on Okonomiyaki.
Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is sometimes called "Japanese savory pancake" or "Japanese pizza", but personally, I think it's more like a dish between savory pancake and frittata. Japanese Okonomiyaki is like a pancake stuffed with cabbage, bacon, and shrimp, topped with a sweet sauce, mayo and bonito flakes. It's a really delicious meal and one of our favorite Japanese specialties. Learn how to make Okonomiyaki with our step by step guide. Combine the flour, baking powder, egg and stock.