Som Tam (carrots and grean bean salad with pawpaw). Green papaya salad is a spicy salad made from shredded unripe papaya. Originating from ethnic Lao people, it is also eaten throughout Southeast Asia. I spotted a bag of baby carrots and some green papaya that I had shredded earlier in the week.
Photograph: Felicity Cloake for the Guardian. Most recipes add snake (AKA yardlong) beans to the Som tam; is it really the world's greatest salad, and if not, what is? And what do you suggest as a good homegrown substitute for green papaya? You can cook Som Tam (carrots and grean bean salad with pawpaw) using 13 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Som Tam (carrots and grean bean salad with pawpaw)
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 4 of fresh bird's eye chilli.
- You need 100 gram of stringless grean beans, sliced.
- Prepare 1 of medium carrots, sherdedd.
- You need 7 of cherry tomatoe, cut in half.
- You need 1 handful of bean sprouts.
- Prepare 1 of small green pawpaw, peeled and sherdedd.
- You need 1 handful of lemon basil.
- You need 1/4 cup of lemon juice.
- You need 3 tablespoon of fish sauce.
- You need 2 tablespoon of sugar.
- You need 2 tablespoon of dried shrimp, washed then ground.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of chrushed roasted peanut.
Som tam is a popular Thai salad featuring green papaya and a spicy chili pepper dressing. Traditionally, it's pounded with a mortar and pestle, which can be fun at times. Click Play to See This Green Papaya Salad (Som Tam Thai) Recipe Come Together. Using a mortar and pestle, add and pound the following ingredients in Substitute a different fruit / vegetable for the green papaya.
Som Tam (carrots and grean bean salad with pawpaw) step by step
- Using a mortar and pastle, pound the garlic and chilli and sugar until well pulverised. Remove and place in large bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients (pawpaw, carrot, cherry tomatoes, grean bean, sprout and lemon basil) add the Fish sauce and the lemon juice toss with al large spoon. Taste and if necessary add more ingredient that you want it.
- When satisfied with the flavour and consistency, sprinkle with ground shirmp and toss again. Serve sprinkle with peanuts and sticky rice.
- Note: I just use Normal peanuts and I don't ground it. Also I like to put lemon basil in it.
Birds eye chili, fish sauce, garlic, green beans, lime, papaya, peanuts, rutabaga, shrimp, snake beans, sugar, swede, tomatoes. Som Tam is a well known Thai salad made with raw papayas pounded in a terra cotta mortar–a unique way to make salad. It's very healthy with a combination. I got a bag of already-shredded green papaya and took my treasure home to make fresh green papaya salad. If you simply cannot find green papaya, don't worry — just substitute shredded kohlrabi, carrots, or bean sprouts.