Chinese Daikon (Turnip) Cake (蘿蔔糕). Daikon radish cake (aka turnip cake) is traditionally served in dim sum restaurants or around Chines New Year. This meatless daikon radish cake is a healthier take on the classic Cantonese radish. Great recipe for Chinese Daikon (Turnip) Cake (蘿蔔糕).
However you can order panfried Daikon cake at most dimsum restaurant anytime of the. This pescatarian daikon radish cake (aka turnip cake) is a healthy take on the classic radish cake. This is Mama Lin's tried and true recipe for turnip cake (lo bak go). You can cook Chinese Daikon (Turnip) Cake (蘿蔔糕) using 6 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chinese Daikon (Turnip) Cake (蘿蔔糕)
- It’s 300 grams of Rice Flour (add more if needed).
- Prepare 2 of Daikon.
- Prepare 4 of Chinese Sausage*.
- You need Handful of Dried Shrimp*.
- You need 2 Tbs of Soy sauce.
- You need 1 Tbs of Granulated white sugar.
It is made with daikon and flavored with dried shrimp, dried scallops, and Chinese sausage. Learn how to make this savory dim sum classic at home! Turnip cake (蘿蔔糕/萝卜糕) is a dish that you often find at dim sum. Turnip cake (lo bak gou / 蘿蔔糕) brings me back the fond memory of my childhood seeping a pot of bottomless Pu'er tea with my father in the dim sum house every Sunday morning.
Chinese Daikon (Turnip) Cake (蘿蔔糕) instructions
- *If you wish you may substitue some chinese sausage with shiitake mushrooms, and dried scallop. Add according to your own preferences.*.
- Take a handful of dried shrimp and soak it in water.
- Diced all the chinese sausage and dried shrimp.
- Grate the Daikon and strain the water.
- Heat the frying pan and add the diced chinese sausage stir fry till some oil is released then add the dried shrimps. Cook till fragrant.
- Add soy sauce and sugar mixture into the frying pan and coat the chinese sausage and dried shrimp.
- Leaving the oil in the pot/ frying pan add in the shredded daikon. Add in some daikon water to boil the daikon for around 10 mins or until translucent.
- When the daikon is cooked mix in the chinese sausage mixture.
- Then slowly add water and rice flour until it becomes sticky.
- Prepare a pot/wok for steaming.
- Place the sticky mixture into a Glass tray or aluminium tray.
- When the water boils, place the glass tray into the wok and steam for 40mins-1hr.
- Test with a toothpick to see if it gets stuck in the mixture. If it comes out with less effort then it is cooked.
- You can eat it immediately after being steamed with some cilantro and hot oil drizzled over. Or wait a day and pan fry it the next day.
Turnip cake is a traditional Chinese dim sum dish and Chinese New Year food. Also, pan fried turnip cake often serves in Chinese dim sum restaurants for breakfast. Besides, turnip cake is mainly made from radish and rice flour. It also called radish cake, white carrot cake or in Chinese named lo bak go (蘿蔔糕). Make Dim Sum favorite Instant Pot Turnip Cake or Chinese Radish Cake (Chinese: 蘿蔔糕 aka Lo Bak Go or Luo Bo Gao)!